10 Must see places in Le Marche where your children will love to spend time during Christmas
A castle dedicated to Santa Klaus, a whole street animated by the Nativity scenes, the square with the wood of the Elves and the little house of Santa Claus, the maze of Scrooge and then markets, ice skating rinks, craft workshops, gastronomic stands and many themed attractions.
Le Marche are preparing to live the magic of the most beautiful season of the year with an endless series of initiatives. There really is a huge choice for all tastes and for all ages.
1) The most beautiful place in this period is certainly the Rocca di Gradara which, with its fortified village, really takes the form of a magical Christmas castle. Even the traditional shops of what is one of the best preserved medieval structures in Italy, are decked out to present, thanks to the artisans of the place, many gift ideas and many unique objects fruit of the work of skilled hands.
There are itineraries to discover the fortress between towers and caves in what was the place where the love of Paolo and Francesca took place, theatrical performances, the school for clowns, the cottage of chocolate, fairytale paths and parties at the fairytale palace, the renaissance dance workshops and much more.
To discover the program every day just go to event page: https://www.gradara.org/eventi-a-gradara/programma-giornaliero-natale-2018/.
To fully experience the territory we suggest you to stay in Villa il Rovereto, farmhouse made from a charming country house of 800 located in a valley between Mondavio and Orciano with a view of all round the surrounding landscape. In the large park surrounding the whole structure there are also two small cottages: two delightful houses surrounded by fragrant lavender bushes and cheerful flowers.
2) The atmosphere is also pretty suggestive at the ancient castle of Frontone, in the splendid scenery dominated by the more than 1700 meters high mount Catria, still in the province of Pesaro and Urbino. Inside the large rooms of the old manor you can eat chestnuts and drink mulled wine and children can also meet a “real” Santa. Around the village, the pipers play their sympathetic songs to animate all with cheerful Christmas themes and melodies of tradition.
A few kilometers from here, in the area of Fermignano, awaits you the beautiful Villa Selene, an ancient country farmhouse, renovated and refurbished according to rustic styles and able to welcome shoppers but also those who prefer nature or art, or who wants to taste the typical delicacies that local stores can offer.
3) A large heart-shaped skating rink is the symbol of Christmas 2018 in Pesaro. Here are also scheduled video-mapping shows, projections of precious “cascades of flakes”, extraordinary illuminations of historical palaces. Everything is accompanied every day by Christmas songs and by the spectacle of a glittering Christmas tree, the most enlightened of Italy, yet with the lowest electricity consumption. Then Christmas markets in Piazza del Popolo, handicraft markets in via San Francesco and Long Corso XI Settembre. To visit, among the many attractions of the city, the civic museums of Palazzo Mosca, the birthplace of Gioacchino Rossini and the splendid cathedral.
Here to stay? We recommend the area of Montemaggiore al Metauro with three villas selected from the network of homelike: Villa Teia, Astreo and Villa Eos. The latter is an ancient summer residence of the archarchbishop of Urbino. Its origins date back to the seventeenth century. Abandoned since the end of 800, today after an accurate work of restoration is presented in all its original splendor.
Villa Astreo was, on the other hand, the farmhouse always of an ancient summer residence of the archarchbishop of Urbino. Finally, Villa Teia, also with equal origins, dominates the entire Metauro In the beautiful Unesco city of the Marche, Urbino, is the theatre of the Great Feast of the Duke of Winter the selected place for this Christmas. Here, in addition to the unique Renaissance nativity scene in Italy, visitors will be able to witness historical commemorations and parades, drums and fire shows. There will also be crafts markets in Corso Garibaldi and Piazza della Repubblica. The Pro Loco has also inaugurated “the streets of the Cribs” where the nativity is exposed along the streets as well as churches, palaces and alleys of the old town. To visit, as at other times of the year, the Doge’s Palace and the National Gallery of the Marches, birthplace of Raphael, Oratory St. John and St. Joseph, the Church of St. Francis.
4) A very original Santa Claus, traveling in a canoe, is waiting for you instead in Fossombrone where in the old town it is easy to stumble upon even some elf. With them you will also be able to try the Tibetan bridge.valley.
Snow & Show inevitable, the spectacle of the snow that descends accompanied by special games of lights and music.
5) A whole street in Fano has been dedicated to cribs. Also here is the ice skating rink, in the square, while in via Garibaldi decorations and lights illuminate and embellish the elegant Japanese cherry trees lining the main road.
6) A real village of Santa Claus, in one of the most beautiful squares of Italy, was set up in San Severino Marche. The oval symbol of the city of the Smeducci also hosts the house of Santa Claus, the elves of the North European tradition, shows of jugglers, juggling, makeup on weekends along with many other initiatives that make this center, in this Period, the “City of Wonders”.
If you want to stay in a suite of one thousand and one nights you can choose, a few kilometers from the old town, one of the historic residences of Homelike Villas, the enchanting Villa teloni. Here the “Torretta” offers a breathtaking views over the large park of what was the residence of the Coletti family, former landowners and well-known economists and botanists.
7) But we suggest you not miss the “Bianconatale” exhibition, in the city of Ancona, with the big Ferris wheel, the ice rink, the elves ‘ wood, the monumental nativity scene, the reproduction of San Gregorio Armeno along via degli Orefici, the concerts, the Appointments in the districts and a lot more. The Christmas train connects the center to the parking lots helping to make the atmosphere even more magical.
8) The magical medieval village of Corinaldo has been transformed in this period in the Castle of happiness with the village, the wood of Santa Claus, the ice rink and the markets linked to the new Handicraft 2.0 treated by the CNA of Senigallia.
10) Finally in Ascoli Piceno, the beautiful city of travertine, in the evocative setting of Piazza Arringo is housed a fascinating antique market with typical Christmas products such as decorations, nativity scenes, Illuminations, as well as curious antiques and Collecting. Always in what is one of the most beautiful squares of Italy you will find to welcome a wooden cottage with saffron to bring to light the love for values and traditions. Just beyond the historic Bar Meletti, where you can taste the traditional Anisetta.
For your stay here we recommend Villa Novecento, a period residence dating back to the beginning of the last century. The historical dwelling, with its typical Liberty characteristics, has always remained faithful to the original style with its Italian garden and the various panoramic terraces. The interiors are bright, modern, functional and with all the comforts. Villa Novecento is not just a holiday home. Inside the structure we find a meeting room ideal for events or to spend with friends entertaining evenings perhaps with the complicity of the magical atmosphere of Christmas.